Creamy Tomato Bleu Cheese Soup with Brandy & Dill
This soup was developed from a recipe for what has been proclaimed a “Genius” recipe and “the most popular tomoto sauce on the internet” by the Food 52 cooking blog. That recipe was first published in the Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan some thirty plus years ago (see http://bit.ly/rtkEhR ). Cheri made that sauce for dinner one night (ambrosia!), then the next night added gorganzola cheese to the left overs (wonderful!). And later used those flavors to make a tomato soup which would stand out from the crowd of creamy tomato soup recipes. Please have fun and enjoy. Crusty bread, please….
The Simple Version.
2 Cups Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Chicken stock (can substitute 1 cup hot water with 1 1/2 tsp chicken base)
4 tsp Tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Brandy
1 tbsp Anisette syrup or Ouzo
1/4 tsp White Pepper
2 tsp Dried Dill Weed
1 Cp Bleu Cheese
1 Cp Heavy Cream (whipping cream)
- Put tomato sauce into a sauce pan
- Whisk Stock and Tomato paste together until smooth and add to tomato sauce
- Add sugar, liquors and spices to the tomato soup base (can be refrigerated until needed or continue to make the soup)
- Crumble the bleu cheese and mix with the heavy cream
- Heat the cheese and cream mixture and stir until they blend together
- Add to soup; heat through and serve.